1. CONCERT OVERVIEW
Vancouver Pro Musica invites all BC composers to submit new works for presentation at the Further Series Microcosmos Quartet concert, scheduled for early February 2015. We’re thrilled to collaborate with the four talented performers of Microcosmos to bring you this exciting concert of new quartets by BC composers. Learn more about the Microcosmos Quartet by visiting their website:
2. SUBMISSION FEE & DEADLINE
• Submission Fee: $25 (maximum of one submission)
• Submission Deadline: scores and finished parts, must be received by Friday, December 12, 2014.
How to Submit
To submit your work, please fill out the submission form below. For payment options, submitters may choose one of the following:
1) Online via PayPal – on clicking “submit”, you will be automatically directed to a link where payment may be made by credit card or your PayPal account
2) Cash or cheque by mail (must be received by the December 12). Please mail payment to:
Vancouver Pro Musica Society
PO Box 78077, RPO Grandview
3. SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
• Maximum duration: 8 minutes (Please note that time limits will be strictly enforced).
• Works submitted must be scored for all four performers.
– Violin 1
– Violin 2
4. STRING QUARTET WORKSHOP
The Microcosmos Quartet and Vancouver ProMusica with the generous support of the Canadian Music Centre invite all BC composers to attend a workshop, “How to write for string quartet”, Sunday, October 5, 2014 at CMC BC Region Headquarters, 837 Davie Street, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1B7. Phone: 604-734-4622.
The workshop will focus on innovative string quartet compositional practices and will include practical tips about how to write idiomatically for this ensemble as well as analysis of significant works within the string quartet repertoire. Participants are encouraged to bring examples of existing string quartet repertoire that they like (or don’t like), as a basis for discussion. Composers may also bring sketches in the form of a short prepared score (2 page max) for the players to read and provide feedback. Be sure to bring individual parts as well as scores for your sketches.
Participation fee: $25 (at the door – cash or cheque only!).
Please see workshop announcement for details and to reserve your seat.
5. ADDITIONAL GUIDELINES
• Vancouver Pro Musica welcomes submissions in all styles and genres.
• Composers of all levels of experience are encouraged to apply.
• Submitters must be residents of BC at the time of submission and will automatically become members in good standing of Vancouver Pro Musica for one year without payment of dues.
• Works must have been composed by the submitter within the last three years.
• Composers are expected to attend the reading session (scheduled for December 19, 2014 – 10:00-13:00 at CMC) as well as the concert.
• If more works are submitted than can be performed, Vancouver Pro Musica will employ a panel of experienced composers to guide selection.
• All questions should be submitted to [email protected]
6. ANNOUNCEMENT AND PRESENTATION OF WORKS SELECTED
• Vancouver Pro Musica will notify submitters by late December 2014. Pro Musica wishes to be as inclusive as possible, but production costs, time constraints, and other practical concerns may require that not all submitters will have a work selected. Decisions of the jury will be final.
• Those whose work is selected will receive a modest honorarium and a recording of their work for non-commercial demo purposes. All submitters will receive a complimentary ticket to the concert.
7. CHECKLIST: INCLUDE IN YOUR SUBMISSION
☐ Composer Biography* (150 words max.)
☐ Programme Note* (150 words max.)
☐ Submission Fee of $25 as a cheque made payable to Vancouver Pro Musica.
☐ Two copies of all scores and any desired supporting documentation
Please ensure ONE copy of each score is anonymous (i.e. does not include your name or any other identifying features). This copy will be sent to a jury for selection if necessary. Note that materials submitted will only be returned if claimed at the concert or if all necessary packaging has been provided, pre-addressed and including postage.
☐ One copy of finished parts. Parts must be clean and legible.
☐ Completed Submission Form.
☐ Any additional technical information or desired supporting material regarding your submission.
8. SUBMISSION FORM