Vancouver Pro Musica Presents
for Mixed Ensembles or Fixed Media
Call for Scores
Vancouver Pro Musica is pleased to invite all BC composers to submit new works for presentation during our 2023 Sonic Boom Festival, March 15-19, 2023.
Deadline for submissions is Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 11:59pm.
Anonymous copies of all submitted works will be adjudicated by a jury of three professionally active, well-known BC composers not associated with Vancouver Pro Musica. Criteria for evaluation include playability and style diversity that contributes to the continuing evolution of new contemporary classical music and the arts in BC (see below).
Selected works will be performed in one of two Mixed Ensemble concerts held at 7:30 pm on the evenings of Thursday, March 16, 2023 at VSO School of Music – Pyatt Hall (843 Seymour St) and Saturday, March 18, 2023 at Vancouver Academy of Music – Koerner Hall (1270 Chestnut St).
We welcome submissions from BC composers of all styles and genres. To submit a piece, complete the online form at the bottom of this page. Payment may be made through Paypal, or by cheque mailed separately. Only submission forms completed through this website will be considered.
Instrumentation (for Mixed Ensemble submissions)
Your submission should include a score and (if applicable) parts for a piece no more than 10 minutes in length scored for 1-4 instruments (pieces for more than 4 instruments & pieces requiring electronics will not be considered). Although we aim to accommodate a wide variety of orchestral or band instruments, logistics of instrument availability, transportability and set-up/tear-down time can be a consideration in selecting pieces.
Inquiries about instrumentation should be made to [email protected] prior to your submission.
All submissions must also meet the following requirements:
- Submitting composers must be residents of BC.
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, November 30, 2022
- Accompanied by cash or cheque sent by mail. Fee for submission is $25.
- Works must have been composed within the past three years.
- Works must not have been previously performed at a Vancouver Pro Musica concert.
- For works that include lyrics/text: Acceptable texts for works include those written by the composer or those in the public domain. Text written by others is also acceptable on the condition that the composer obtains written permission from the author or publisher.
- Composers will be expected to organize and attend rehearsals with the performers prior to the concert.
- Composers will be expected to attend the soundchecks and concert of their work. Soundchecks occur in the hours before the evening concert (schedule will be provided a few weeks prior to the concert);
- Submitted pieces can be up to 10 minutes in length (suggested 6-10 mins). Please note that time limits will be strictly enforced.
Guidelines for Fixed Media Submissions
Fixed media works may be up to four channels, but venue limitations may limit your piece to stereo performance. Your submission should include a high-quality MP3 file of a stereo downmix of your piece. Pieces that integrate fixed media with live performers will not be considered.
Inquiries about fixed media works should be made to [email protected] prior to your submission.
Submissions must include:
- The composer’s name, address, and e-mail address.
- Application fee of $25. Payment can be made via Paypal or cheque by mail. Please make cheques payable to:
- Vancouver Pro Musica Society
PO Box 78077 RPO Grandview
Vancouver, BC V5N 5W1
- Vancouver Pro Musica Society
- For Mixed Ensemble submissions: Two copies of the score. One copy of the score should be anonymous, for adjudication of submissions. (Please read How to Prepare an Anonymized Score PDF)
- For Fixed Media submissions: One high-quality MP3 file containing a stereo downmix of the work.
Announcement and Presentation of Works Selected
Vancouver Pro Musica will contact all the submitters by Monday, December 19, 2022. While Vancouver Pro Musica wishes to be as inclusive as possible, production costs, time constraints, and other practical concerns may require that not all submitters will have a work selected. Vancouver Pro Musica aims to produce a concert of between 60-65 mins of music in total. These considerations may not permit the performance of all submissions.
Composers selected for performance must be ready to provide all required performance materials including parts. Those whose works are presented will receive a recording of their work for non-commercial purposes.
All composers who submit—regardless of whether or not their piece is selected for performance—automatically become members in good standing of Vancouver Pro Musica, exempt from membership dues for one year.
- Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 11:59pm: Score submission deadline.
- Monday, December 19, 2022: Submitters notified of selection results.
- Concert dates: Evenings (7:30 pm) Thursday, March 16, 2023 at VSO School of Music – Pyatt Hall (843 Seymour St) and Saturday, March 18, 2023 at Vancouver Academy of Music – Koerner Hall (1270 Chestnut St).