Vancouver Pro Musica Presents
Further Series 2018 Call for Scores
Featuring the Ad Mare Wind Quintet
Vancouver Pro Musica is pleased to invite all BC composers to submit new works for presentation at our Further Series concert on June, 3 2017 featuring the Ad Mare Wind Quintet. Deadline for submissions is Wednesday, March 28, 2018. There will be a workshop with the ensemble on February 4 from 10am-2pm at the Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, Music teaching studio, room 4350. There will be an open reading session for pieces chosen for the concert on April 7 from 10am – 2pm also at the Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, Music teaching studio, room 4350.
About the Artists
Renown all over Canada as one of the best chamber music groups, the Ad Mare Wind quintet was founded in Vancouver in 2001 by clarinetist AK Coope and bassoonist Sophie Dansereau. Since its beginning, Ad Mare performs a variety of musical genres. The group premiered more
than a dozen works; among others all wind quintets written by Christopher Kovarik. Its members (Marea Chernoff, Oboe; AK Coope, clarinet; Sophie Dansereau, bassoon; Andrew Mee,
horn; Rosanne Wieringa, flute) are players of many major ensembles in Vancouver and BC, such as the Vancouver Symphony orchestra, Turning Point ensemble and Standing Wave, to name a few. Involved educators as well, Ad Mare presented live chamber music recitals throughout the
schools of Vancouver and the Lower Mainland for free as participants of the Chamber Music in the School organization.
We welcome submissions from BC composers of all styles and genres. To submit a piece, complete the online form at the bottom of this page. Payment may be made through Paypal, or by cheque mailed separately. Only submission forms completed through this website will be considered.
Your submission should include a score and parts for a piece no more than 8 minutes in length for the following instruments (Solo pieces and pieces requiring electronics will not be considered):
- Flute/Piccolo/Alto Flute
- Oboe/English Horn
- French Horn
- Bb Clarinet/Bass Clarinet
All submissions must also meet the following requirements:
- Submitting composers must be residents of BC.
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, March 28, 2017.
- Accompanied by cash or cheque sent by mail. Fee for submission is $25.
- Works must have been composed within the past three years.
- Composers will be expected to attend the reading session and concert for their work.
- Submitted pieces must be less than 8 minutes in length. Please note that time limits will be strictly enforced to allow as many pieces as possible to be programmed.
Applications must include:
- The composer’s name, address, and e-mail address.
- Application fee of $25. Payment can be made via Paypal or cheque by mail. Please make cheques payable to:
- Vancouver Pro Musica Society
PO Box 78077 RPO Grandview
Vancouver, BC V5N 5W1
- Vancouver Pro Musica Society
- One Copy of all performers’ parts.
- Two Copies of the score. One copy of the score should be anonymous, in the event that a jury is required to adjudicate submissions.
Announcement and Presentation of Works Selected
Vancouver Pro Musica will contact all the submitters by Monday, April 2 2018. While Vancouver Pro Musica wishes to be as inclusive as possible, production costs, time constraints, and other practical concerns may require that not all submitters will have a work selected. Vancouver Pro Musica will employ a panel of professional composers not associated with Vancouver Pro Musica to guide selection. Decisions of the panel will be final.
Composers selected for performance must be ready to provide all required performance materials including parts. Those whose works are presented will receive a recording of their work for non-commercial purposes.
All composers who submit—regardless of whether or not their piece is selected for performance—automatically become members in good standing of Vancouver Pro Musica, exempt from membership dues for one year.
- February 4, 10am–2pm: Open workshop at the Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, Music teaching studio, room 4350. 149 W Hastings St
- Wednesday, March 28, 2018: Score submission deadline.
- Monday April 2, 2018: Submitters notified of selection results.
- Saturday April 7, 2018, 10am–2pm: Open reading session at the Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, Music teaching studio, room 4350. 149 W Hastings St
- June 3, 2018, 2:00 pm: Concert at Pyatt Hall, VSO School of Music (843 Seymour St., Vancouver, BC)