Vancouver Pro Musica Presents
Sonic Boom 2022
Featured Artist – Valerie Whitney (solo French horn)
About the Artist:
Dr. Valerie Whitney was appointed to the faculty at the UBC School of Music in 2018, where she is now Assistant Professor, Horn and Brass Area Coordinator. Dr. Whitney has been performing in and around the Chicagoland area for over a decade. She regularly appears with some of the nation’s most esteemed performing organizations, including the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Chicago Lyric Opera, and the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra. In 2010, she was invited to serve as guest principal horn with the Florida Orchestra for two weeks. From 2013–2016, she served as hornist of Fifth House Ensemble, during which time she performed and led masterclasses at nationwide universities as well as educational programs in various Chicago public schools and community centers. In 2017, Dr. Whitney was the first candidate to earn a DMA in Horn Performance from Northwestern University. She is a graduate of Wheaton College and Northwestern University.
We welcome submissions from BC composers of all styles and genres. To submit a piece, complete the online form at the bottom of this page. Payment may be made through Paypal, or by cheque mailed separately. Only submission forms completed through this website will be considered.
Your submission should include a score for a piece no more than 8 minutes in length for solo French Horn.
NB: pieces requiring electronics will not be considered
All submissions must also meet the following requirements:
- Submitting composers must be residents of BC.
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, December 8, 2021 (New Deadline)
- Accompanied by cash or cheque sent by mail. Fee for submission is $25.
- Works must have been composed within the past three years.
- Composers will be expected to organize and attend rehearsals with the performers prior to the concert.
- Composers will be expected to attend the soundchecks and concert of their work. Soundchecks occur in the hours before the evening concert (schedule will be provided a few weeks prior to the concert);
- Submitted pieces can be up to 8 minutes in length (suggested 6-8 mins). Please note that time limits will be strictly enforced.
Applications must include:
- The composer’s name, address, and e-mail address.
- Application fee of $25. Payment can be made via Paypal or cheque by mail. Please make cheques payable to:
- Vancouver Pro Musica Society
PO Box 78077 RPO Grandview
Vancouver, BC V5N 5W1
- Vancouver Pro Musica Society
- Two copies of the score. One copy of the score should be anonymous, for adjudication of submissions. (Please read How to Prepare an Anonymized Score PDF)
Announcement and Presentation of Works Selected
Vancouver Pro Musica will contact all the submitters by Monday, December 20, 2021. While Vancouver Pro Musica wishes to be as inclusive as possible, time constraints, and other practical concerns may require that not all submitters will have a work selected. Vancouver Pro Musica aims to produce a concert of between 60-65 mins of music in total. These considerations may not permit the performance of all submissions.
Composers whose works are presented will receive a recording of their work for non-commercial purposes.
All composers who submit—regardless of whether or not their piece is selected for performance—automatically become members in good standing of Vancouver Pro Musica, exempt from membership dues for one year.
- on-line workshop with Dr. Whitney, Oct. 17, 2021 2-3 pm
- Wednesday, December 8, 2021 at 11:59pm: Score submission deadline (New Deadline)
- Monday, December 20, 2021: Submitters notified of selection results.
- Concert date: Sunday, March 13, 2022 at the Orpheum Annex, (823 Seymour St., Vancouver, BC). Time TBD