Vancouver Pro Musica Presents
Sonic Boom 2022
Call for Scores
Featured Artists – McGregor/Verdejo Duo (flute/guitar)
About the Artists:
The McGregor-Verdejo Duo was formed in 2016 by guitarist Adrian Verdejo and flutist Mark Takeshi McGregor. From Bach to Piazzolla to Baca-Lobera, the Vancouver based duo is committed to re-envisioning established classics, rediscovering forgotten and neglected works, and forging bonds with modern day composers by commissioning and performing new music for flute and guitar. Past engagements include collaborations with soprano Dory Hayley, performances at Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra’s Global Soundscapes Festival and Powell Street Festival, and concerts throughout Western Canada for the HealthArts Society. The Duo’s dedication to fostering new music has resulted in the premieres of works by composers Jennifer Butler, Kara Gibbs, Rodney Sharman, and Hiroki Tsurumoto, as well as forthcoming commissions by Farshid Samandari, Mark Marinic, Alfredo Santa Ana, Ana Lara, and Diego Lozano.
During the 2020/21 season, when the coronavirus pandemic put live concerts on hold, the McGregor-Verdejo Duo moved their activities online, creating videos of music by Jocelyn Morlock and Celso Machado with assistance from the Canada Council for the Arts, BC Arts Council, and Creative BC. Forthcoming projects include the duo’s debut album, which will feature new and recent works for flute and guitar by Canadian, Japanese, and Mexican composers, and an artist residency at the Centro Mexicano para la Música y las Artes Sonoras in Morelia, Mexico.
We welcome submissions from BC composers of all styles and genres. To submit a piece, complete the online form at the bottom of this page. Payment may be made through Paypal, or by cheque mailed separately. Only submission forms completed through this website will be considered.
Your submitted composition must be a piece scored for both flute and guitar, and should be no more than 10 minutes in duration.
Available instruments are:
- flute, alto flute, bass flute (resource: Extended Techniques for the Flute 2020)
- classical guitar, steel string guitar
NB: pieces requiring electronics will not be considered)
All submissions must also meet the following requirements:
- Submitting composers must be residents of BC.
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 pm on Wednesday, December 8, 2021 (New Deadline)
- Accompanied by cash or cheque sent by mail. Fee for submission is $25.
- Works must have been composed within the past three years.
- Composers will be expected to attend the workshop with the McGregor/Verdejo Duo, Sunday, Oct. 10 2-3 pm.
- Composers will be expected to attend the soundchecks and concert of their work. Soundchecks occur in the hours before the evening concert (schedule will be provided a few weeks prior to the concert);
- Submitted pieces can be up to 10 minutes in length (suggested durations: 6-10 mins). Please note that time limits will be strictly enforced.
Applications must include:
- The composer’s name, address, and e-mail address.
- Application fee of $25. Payment can be made via Paypal or cheque by mail. Please make cheques payable to:
- Vancouver Pro Musica Society
PO Box 78077 RPO Grandview
Vancouver, BC V5N 5W1
- Vancouver Pro Musica Society
- Two copies of the score. One copy of the score should be anonymous, for adjudication of submissions. (Please read How to Prepare an Anonymized Score PDF)
Announcement and Presentation of Works Selected
Vancouver Pro Musica will contact all the submitters by Monday, December 20, 2021. While Vancouver Pro Musica wishes to be as inclusive as possible, time constraints, and other practical concerns may require that not all submitters will have a work selected. Vancouver Pro Musica aims to produce a concert of between 60-65 mins of music in total. These considerations may not permit the performance of all submissions.
Composers whose works are presented will receive a recording of their work for non-commercial purposes.
All composers who submit—regardless of whether or not their piece is selected for performance—automatically become members in good standing of Vancouver Pro Musica, exempt from membership dues for one year.
- Workshop with Mark McGregor & Adrian Verdejo, Sunday, Oct. 17 from 2-3 pm (online)
- Wednesday, December 8, 2021 at 11:59pm: Score submission deadline.
- Monday, December 20, 2021: Submitters notified of selection results.
- Concert date: Sunday, March 13, 2022 at the Orpheum Annex, (823 Seymour St., Vancouver, BC). 7:30 pm