Vancouver Pro Musica Presents
for Mixed Ensembles
Call for Scores
Vancouver Pro Musica is pleased to invite all BC composers to submit new works for presentation during our 2022 Sonic Boom Festival, March 10-13, 2022.
Deadline for submissions is Friday, November 26, 2021 at 11:59pm.
Anonymous copies of all submitted works will be adjudicated by a jury of three professionally active, well-known BC composers not associated with Vancouver Pro Musica. Criteria for evaluation include playability and style diversity that contributes to the continuing evolution of new contemporary classical music and the arts in BC (see below).
Selected works will be performed in one of two Mixed Ensemble concerts held 8:00 pm on the evenings of Friday March 11, 2022, and Saturday March 12, 2022, at Pyatt Hall, VSO School of Music (843 Seymour St., Vancouver, BC).
We welcome submissions from BC composers of all styles and genres. To submit a piece, complete the online form at the bottom of this page. Payment may be made through Paypal, or by cheque mailed separately. Only submission forms completed through this website will be considered.
Your submission should include a score and (if applicable) parts for a piece no more than 10 minutes in length scored 1-4 instruments (pieces for more than 4 instruments & pieces requiring electronics will not be considered). Although we aim to accommodate a wide variety of orchestral or band instruments, logistics of instrument availability, transportability and set-up/tear-down time can be a consideration in selecting pieces.
Inquiries about instrumentation should be made to [email protected] prior to your submission.
All submissions must also meet the following requirements:
- Submitting composers must be residents of BC.
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 pm on Friday, November 26, 2021.
- Accompanied by cash or cheque sent by mail. Fee for submission is $25.
- Works must have been composed within the past three years.
- Composers will be expected to organize and attend rehearsals with the performers prior to the concert.
- Composers will be expected to attend the soundchecks and concert of their work. Soundchecks occur in the hours before the evening concert (schedule will be provided a few weeks prior to the concert);
- Submitted pieces can be up to 10 minutes in length (suggested 6-10 mins). Please note that time limits will be strictly enforced.
Submissions must include:
- The composer’s name, address, and e-mail address.
- Application fee of $25. Payment can be made via Paypal or cheque by mail. Please make cheques payable to:
- Vancouver Pro Musica Society
PO Box 78077 RPO Grandview
Vancouver, BC V5N 5W1
- Vancouver Pro Musica Society
- Two copies of the score. One copy of the score should be anonymous, for adjudication of submissions.
Announcement and Presentation of Works Selected
Vancouver Pro Musica will contact all the submitters by Monday, December 13, 2021. While Vancouver Pro Musica wishes to be as inclusive as possible, production costs, time constraints, and other practical concerns may require that not all submitters will have a work selected. Vancouver Pro Musica aims to produce a concert of between 60-65 mins of music in total. These considerations may not permit the performance of all submissions.
Composers selected for performance must be ready to provide all required performance materials including parts. Those whose works are presented will receive a recording of their work for non-commercial purposes.
All composers who submit—regardless of whether or not their piece is selected for performance—automatically become members in good standing of Vancouver Pro Musica, exempt from membership dues for one year.
- Friday, November 26, 2021 at 11:59pm: Score submission deadline.
- Monday, December 13, 2021: Submitters notified of selection results.
- Concert dates: Evenings (8:00 pm) Friday, March 11 and Saturday, March 12, 2022 at Pyatt Hall, VSO School of Music (843 Seymour St., Vancouver, BC).