Vancouver Pro Musica Presents:
A Workshop with The Alan Matheson Septet
Saturday, January 19, 2019 from 1–4 pm
Vancouver Community College, Auditorium
(1155 East Broadway, Vancouver)
Vancouver Pro Musica invites all composers to attend this workshop, featuring The Alan Matheson Septet. This event is designed to help prepare composers for writing new works for a versatile jazz ensemble. There will be the opportunity to have brief sketches (up to 3 minutes of music) read by the septet. Interested composers are also invited to submit a piece to our call for scores.
However, anyone interested in how jazz ensembles work are encouraged to attend!
Topics that will be covered include:
- How to lay out a jazz chart.
- How to write for a jazz ensemble (especially if your background is in classical music.)
- Ideas for using the different instruments in the ensemble effectively.
- How to incorporate improvisation into your pieces.
About the Artists
The Alan Matheson Septet has been an important part of the Vancouver jazz scene for over twenty years. Their first CD release Intrada features original compositions by Alan Matheson that reflect a wide range of musical influences from Ellington to Woody Shaw. The septet also plays compositions by band members Rob McKenzie, Dave Branter and Craig Scott as well as jazz classics by Billy Strayhorn, Fletcher Henderson and Stan Kenton. Their “little big band” sound has impressed audiences at the Vancouver International Jazz Festival, the Pender Harbour Jazz Festival and on the air via CBC Radio’s Hot Air and Tonic programs. The personnel of both groups is made up of some of Vancouver’s most versatile musicians, all equally at home in jazz, classical and popular music.
The ensemble features:
- Alan Matheson on trumpet (doubling flugelhorn and piano)
- Rob McKenzie on trombone
- Julia Nolan on alto saxophone (doubling soprano saxophone)
- David Branter on tenor saxophone (doubling clarinet)
- Jon Roper on electric guitar
- Laurence Mollerup on acoustic bass
- Craig Scott on drums
Timeline for Further Series: The Alan Matheson Septet
- January 19, 2019, 1—4 pm: Open workshop at Vancouver Community College (1155 E. Broadway, Vancouver).
- March 22, 2019: Score submission deadline.
- March 30, 2019: Submitters notified of selection results.
- April 6, 2019, 1—4 pm: Reading session for composers at Vancouver Community College.
- April 20, 2019: Revisions due.
- May 19, 2019, 7:30 pm: Concert at Pyatt Hall (843 Seymour St, Vancouver, BC).